Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I recently had a run in with our illustrious campus police for participating in the safe, enjoyable and healthy activity that is rollerblading. I was totally in control and going a moderate speed on one of campus’s well-paved roads. The two underpaid, overenthusiastic young, single men found this an opportunity not only to use their sparsely limited power but almost break my neck in the process. Standing on the sidewalk on which I skated, and holding his arms outstretched like unto Moses before the red sea, this wrecker of recreation force me onto the grass while traveling close to what must have been 40 miles per hour. After talking to me about the dangers of rollerblading on campus, this kind officer said I must leave immediately or else. I saw that he only had a flashlight and a pair of overly tight slacks, but I didn’t want to take my chances. I kindly asked the fine gentlemen if I could rollerblade home, and after a series of awkward looks, some cop grunts, and a couple of full body scans they agreed.
I tell you that tale not to rag on our esteemed campus police, but to bring to your knowledge a pressing concern for rollerbladers everywhere. I started this hobby a little more than a year ago. Although I started out shaky I quickly learned how to avoid people and weave in and out of traffic without so much as a scratch. I was excited to come to BYU and try them out on the neatly paved roads and stretches of sidewalks. Now I understand the concern when the campus is packed with stressed students sprinting off to their next class but when it is late and there is not so much as an ant on the pavement, I do not see the harm.
The other day I saw a guy on a bike almost cream an innocent young freshman female with his three ton mountain bike traveling at mock 5. I do not know about you, but I would rather see someone spin out of control and fall into a bush on rollerblades because of me than be flattened by Skippy on his tricycle. It just would be more comfortable not to be stuck in the spokes of a high speed vehicle.
Did you know that roughly 80% of America is now obese? Banning rollerblading on campus is adding to that frightening number everyday. Now granted that rollerblading represents roughly one fourth of one percent but I think that making rollerblading legal would get more people involved and lower the number, because lets face it everyone has an innate desire to rollerblade. Allowing rollerblading on campus would not only be safe, but it would be a fun and healthy way for people like me and you to get to class.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! I loved your article. I have no idea who the audience is, but count me in to read more of your stuff. I enjoyed your sarcasm--you have a very distinct voice in your writing.

    ReplyDelete